Types of Documents in Brazil


Following your arrival in Brazil, with a valid temporary or permanent residence visa, you will be required to apply for various documents within 30 days of arrival.


RNE – Brazilian Foreigner ID Card (Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro)

You and all your family members will be requested to register for a Brazilian ID.  The application must be made in person at the Federal Police and you will initially receive a protocol with an ID card to be issued within 180 days.  The RNE (or protocol) functions as your principle document and the basis for obtaining other documents/services.


CPF – Brazilian Taxpayer ID (CPF – Cadastro de Pessoa Física)

This is your taxpayer ID number in Brazil. It is obtained from the Receita Federal (Tax Office) upon completion and presentation of a form.  Your CPF is necessary to enable you to open a bank account, rent accommodation, enter in to contracts and undertake other similar daily activities.


Dependents of 12 years of age and over are also required to apply for their own CPF card to be claimed as dependent for tax purposes. Other non-tax reasons may apply.


Work Card and Social Security Booklet (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social – CTPS)

All workers are required to have a “Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social” or “Working and Social Security Document”. No company may legally hire a worker without such document. This document is obtained from the regional office of the Ministry of Labor..

Consulta Express

Fill out the fields below and send us your questions.
We will be pleased to assist you